Time signature

Post new topic   Reply to topic    H-Lounge Forum Index -> Hyperscore Tips and Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willamina

PostPosted: Friday January 13th, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Time signature Reply with quote

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to change the time signature. The grid lines in the windows are really helpful if you're working in 4/4 time but I'd love to be able to write in 3/4. Is there a way to change the grid lines to reflect a 3/4 time signature? I've looked in the user guide, the music library, the forum - all I see is 4/4. Any ideas?
zappo

PostPosted: Friday January 13th, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the size of the melody window by dragging it. I think it defaults to 4/4 but resize it by dropping off the last quarter note so it only has three notes (or has a length which is a multiple of 3).

Check out the song "54 going on 44" (you can search for it) for an example of a song that switches between 5/4 and 4/4 time. Same principle applies to 3/4. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tuesday January 17th, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly right - just change the length of the melody or percussion window so that it has 3 beats.

In fact, you can easily make interesting and complex poly-rhythms by mixing up 3/4, 4/4, and 5/4 (etc.) melody or percussion motives in the sketch window. Each melodic or persussion window will loop independently.

In a future release Hyperscore will support more flexible gridding options, but for now changing the window length is the only way.

-Henry

P.S. Make sure the window length is a whole number of 1/4 or 1/2 notes, or else your melody won't loop well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    H-Lounge Forum Index -> Hyperscore Tips and Tricks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: